I always gave my boyfriend such a hard time about blogs and all the crap people would write, but here I am Eating my words as usual doing what I said I’d never do! The key word here Eating! We love to do it in our household and I come from a long line of “Foodies”(meaning people who love to eat). My first recipe for my first blog will be Fresh Tomato Pasta w/ Meat. A favorite in our house! Tomatoes are one of those super foods packed full of good stuff like vitamin C, vitamin A and antioxidants. This is a simple but delicious meal.
Fresh Tomato Sauce Over Pasta Recipe…
Ingredients: tomatoes, onion, garlic, ground beef, italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt & ground pepper, olive oil, bay leaves
1. Heat stock pot over medium heat.
2. Dice 1/2 of white onion, pour olive oil in pot (til it covers the bottom) throw in onion. add a few pinches of salt & ground pepper let them carmelize
3. Quarter 11-13 roma tomatoes. set aside
4. Add red pepper flakes, & italian seasoning into the pot, stir, add 1lb. ground beef, season with salt & pepper, let brown.
5. Smash 3 cloves of garlic, roughly chop rest of onion, place tomato’s, garlic, onion, & a few pinches of salt & pepper in blender, set blender to chop and pulse chop until ingredients are mixed and chopped up.
6. Pour tomato mix in pot, add 2 bay leaves, let sauce come to a boil, and then simmer for about an hour. (no lid)
Tomatoes are watery so you have to let the water cook out, the longer you simmer the better the flavor. You can speed up cooking by cooking on a higher heat but be sure to keep an eye on it. If you need to thicken the sauce add a can of plain tomato sauce. If you ever have red wine left over it’s always nice to cook in the sauce. Just add it after you browned your meat.
1. Bring water to a boil in a large pot.
2. Salt water and add angel hair pasta, (or your favorite kind of pasta)
3. Strain pasta and pour into a large serving dish.
Pour sauce over pasta & mix together, grate mozzerella cheese over top, finish with fresh basil.