Dinner last night was quite the ensemble so I decided to write about it. We just got back from a trip to Vegas (for my bday) and we were all very exhausted, but most of all Broke! I didn’t want to waste money on delivery and had quite a few things in the fridge I felt sure I could do something with. I just didn’t want to put a whole lot of effort forth. I had some left over Hawaiian bread that was still good but not for much longer. I hate throwing food away so I really wanted to use what up what I had before I had to waste it. I always have pasta and canned crushed tomatoes, I had some yellow onions, and garlic of course, and my basil and parsley plants were dying for me to cut them back. I also had some of my fresh tomato sauce w/meat I had froze from a batch of sauce I made previously, not enough for a meal for 4 though. Last I had some Italian salami. Oh yeah I had a red bell pepper begging to be cooked as well. Here’s what I did….
- dice 1 yellow onion toss into hot pot w/olive oil (medium heat)
- chop up 4 garlic cloves, toss in pot
- dice red bell pepper, toss in pot
- dice salami toss in pot
- sprinkle in some dried oregano, give it all a mix
- boil water for pasta
- pour crushed tomatoes (28 oz can) in pot w/veggies and let it cook over medium low heat.
- chop up 1 garlic clove and 4 pats of butter, melt together
- slice open hawaiian bread, lay bread on piece of foil, pour melted butter and garlic over bread, sprinkle w/salt, ground black pepper, & shred some parmesan cheese on top, toast in oven (about 5 min. if in broiler)
- i added my leftover fresh tomato sauce w/meat and just let it simmer until pasta is done
- give the parsley and basil a rough chop and toss into sauce
- take the pasta directly out of pasta water (do not drain) i use tongs to grab the noodles and drop pasta into tomato sauce, giving it a mix in between drops. this lets you coat the noodles with the sauce and pasta water.
This might sound like a lot of work but it really isn’t. It only took about 30 min to pull together. You can be creative with what you already have lying around, using things like garlic salt if you don’t have fresh garlic for the bread. You can use any kind of bread. Use up old packets from pizza delivery for the parmesan or spice things up w/cracked red pepper.