I made this dish because I had been craving this Tex-Mex dish that you can not get in California. It’s called “Carne Guisada”. This is a pretty simple meal for those working people out there. I suggest not using the pre made mixes. It’s much better made form scratch. Before I head off to work I figured I’d get this stew going. This way when I get home it won’t take much time to get dinner ready.
Ingredients: olive oil, stew meat, carrots, yellow onion, garlic. green bell pepper, red onion, jalapeno. butter, flour, salt & pepper, tequila. rice, dried oregano, cayenne pepper, chicken stock. (poblano peppers would be great too.)
- Heat a large roomy saute pan up, over high heat. Season stew meat with salt & pepper, drizzle olive oil in the pan coating the bottom. Start placing the meat in the pan making sure not to over crowd pan. Let the meat cook for about 5 min. or until there is a crisp brown layer on the outside. Turn the pieces over until all sides are browned. If the meat sticks to the pan, that’s okay, just let it brown a little longer. Once the juices from the meat start to caramelize the pieces will loosen. (For browning or searing meat you want the outside layer to cook fast so it will be “brown” not “gray” so make sure the pan is hot. Brown the meat in batches, DO NOT over crowd the pan).
- Set crockpot on low (on high if cooking faster) and pour meat in. Rough chop a few carrots, 1/2 yellow onion, and 3 garlic cloves, toss it all in the crock pot. Pour about 1/2 cup of chicken stock in and cover. Set the pan with all those browned bits aside, to use for the sauce later.
- About 5-7 hrs later…time to finish up. Heat the saute pan from the browned meat back up, over medium heat. Dice 2 green peppers, 2 carrots, 1 red onion, and 2 jalapeños. Drizzle the pan with olive oil. Toss veggies in with all those yummy brownings, season with salt & pepper and let them sweat for about 15 min. (de-seed jalapeno for less heat)
- Add 2 tbs. of flour & butter, coating all the veggies. Turn heat down to low and de-glaze the pan with tequila pouring in slowly scrapping the bottom of the pan as you stir in the tequila. about 1/4 cup. You should have a nice thick sauce now. Pour the meat from the crock pot into pan, cover and let simmer for about 30 min. stir occasionally. Thin with a little chicken stock or water if needed.
- For the rice: heat a pot up over medium heat, drizzle a few swirls of olive oil and a few pats of butter into pot. Add rice to pot and toast for a few min. Add salt & pepper, 1 tsp. dried oregano & cayenne pepper. Use chicken stock instead of water for liquid (follow directions on package for rice to liquid ratio). Cover and let simmer until rice is done.
Scoop the rice onto a plate and cover with JJ’s Carne Guisada! Serve with warm tortillas. It was sooooo damn good! A little bit spicy, a lot of flavor and boy did my man LOVE me!
Cocktail Suggestion: MexiMartini–
in a martini shaker, fill w/ice, pour half tequila, half lime juice simple syrup(or limeade) and a splash of olive juice. shake and pour into chilled martini glasses.
lime juice simple syrup: 2 cups freshly squeezed lime juice (6-12 limes, depends on the limes) 2 tbls. sugar. heat juice and sugar over low heat, until sugar has dissolved. limeade works fine for this recipe and sometimes it’s just easier to use, since limes can be difficult to get juice out of.