Light Curry Rice with Chicken and Veggies
I’m not a big fan of curry but the hint of curry in this makes this dish savory and delicious. It’s also quite beautiful in presentation with the yellow curry rice against the colorful veggies. If you love curry use a good quality curry and up the amount.
- 1 head fennel
- 2 carrots
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 small piece of ginger
- 1 jalapeno
- 3 tbs curry powder
- 1 tbs lemon pepper
- 2 cups vermicelli
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 lb chicken breasts or tenders
- 3 cups chicken stock (for cooking rice)
- chop; fennel, carrots, onion, celery into bite size pieces and place in a large bowl, set aside.
- remove the skin from ginger and slice into thin pieces lengthwise and then again across into small pieces. cut open jalapeno, remove seeds and chop into small pieces. season chicken breast with lemon pepper and salt. (only use salt if lemon pepper is salt free)
- heat pan over high heat and coat with olive oil. place chicken in “hot” pan and let it cook on each side for 5 minutes.
- prepare rice as stated on package only substitute chicken stock for water and add 2 tbs of curry powder and a few pinches of salt to pot. cover and let simmer.
- remove chicken from pan and coat pan with a little more olive oil. turn heat down to medium. add vermicelli and pine nuts to pan. toast until the vermicelli starts to brown. add veggies, season with salt & pepper and 1 tbs of curry powder. mix together.
- slice chicken and add back to pan with veggies. pour in 1/2 cup of chicken stock to pan. turn heat down to low, cover and simmer about 5 minutes.
To Serve: scoop curry rice onto plate and spoon chicken and veggies over top.