Roasted Tomato and Garlic Soup
Roasting the tomatoes and garlic gives this soup an extra layer of flavor that is too die for. Make a grilled cheese with an aged or smoked cheese and you’ll have a gourmet twist on a classic meal.
- 2 pkgs grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 1 -28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 4-6 garlic cloves
- 1 white onion
- 3 tbs. sun dried tomato paste (or regular tomato paste)
- 1 tbs of sugar
- olive oil
- about 2 cups chicken stock (vegan: vegetable stock)
- fresh basil
- salt & cracked black pepper
Preheat oven to 425〫
- Place tomatoes and garlic cloves (in skin) on sheet pan. drizzle with olive oil and season with a little salt & pepper. Roast in oven for about 20 minutes or until tomatoes burst and garlic turns a golden color.
- Heat dutch oven over medium heat. Dice onion, drizzle pot with olive oil (just enough to coat the pan), add onions and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Let onions caramelize.
- Add tomato paste, sugar and pour in crushed tomatoes. season again with salt & pepper.
- Remove tomatoes and garlic from oven and pour into pot. Mix it all together.
- Either in a blender or with an immersion stick, puree soup. Pour soup back into pot and thin with chicken stock. (Use more or less chicken stock depending on your preference of thickness).
Garnish with fresh basil and grated cheese!
Servings: 4 bowls