Tri-Tip is California’s claim to steak. I remember my brother-in-law loved to buy this when they had it at the market in Texas. He used to live in California.
I live in California now and it’s everywhere here. The best cuts are from Costco but most super markets carry it. Since I’m a Texas girl living in L.A. I usually smoke try-tip on my old faithful webber kettle.
- trimmed tri tip roast
- 1 cup good whiskey
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tbs smoked paprika
- 3 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs cayenne pepper
- 2 zucchini
- 2 bell pepper
- 1 large red onion
- Marinate tri-tip 3-8 hours ahead. Cut into cubes. (big enough to skewer). Marinate in whiskey with smoked paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and juice from 1 orange. Set aside in fridge.
- Prepare grill: soak wood chips in water. light coals, once coals start to turn gray and the flames have stopped you’re grill is ready.
- Cut zucchini, bell pepper and onion into skewer size chunks. Season with salt and pepper and toss in olive oil.
- Assemble skewers: meat, veggie, meat leaving space in between.
- drain water from wood chips, remove grill grate and lay wet chips directly on top of hot coals. Put grill grate back on and lay skewers on grill. Cover, open vent on grill and let smoke 20 minutes.