Spicy Chicken Sausage and Lentil Stew
This stew was a big hit with my friends and clients! You got to give this recipe a try. You will love it too!
- 1 small bag dry lentils
- 1 package habanero green chili chicken sausage (4 links)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 white onion
- 4 garlic
- 2 tsp fennel seed
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- fresh sage
- 6 cups chicken stock
Soak 2 cups of lentils in water for about 3-5 hours before cooking. (in a warm place or in hot water). Lentils will soak up a lot of the water.
I basically cooked this stew in layers all in one pot. Start with infusing spices in olive oil…
- cover bottom of heavy bottom pot with olive oil. turn heat to low. add in fennel seed, coriander, smoked paprika and garlic powder. mix spices together in olive oil, about 5 minutes.
- dice onion and toss into pot. season with salt & pepper, kick heat up to medium high and mix it all up.
- dice bell pepper, add to pot.
- slice sausage links in half lengthwise, then slice again in half again lengthwise, dice sausage and add to pot. stir.
- chop garlic cloves, add to pot. roughly chop fresh sage and add to pot.
- drain lentils and add to pot. cover with chicken stock. pop a lid on the pot and lower heat to low. let simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
Add more stock if lentils soak up to much of the liquid. I like mine a little thicker.
Eat and Enjoy! Serves 4