Strawberry French Toast
I knocked the socks off my daughter with this breakfast! The french toast was super yummy and even a little bit healthy. And, I didn’t even use bacon! The heels of bread or even stale bread is perfect for french toast so if you have some bread you’re about to throw out, make this Strawberry French Toast!
Serve with a fried egg on the side for an even better breakfast. The yolk from the egg adds a delicious sauce to the plate. It was a big hit!
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 6 slices whole grain bread
- 3 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs powdered sugar
- 1/4 real maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbs canola oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 stick butter
- core strawberries, give them a rough chop, place in a bowl add 2 tbs sugar and stir. set aside (do this the night before for extra sweet berries)
- Strawberry Syrup: in a small pot over low heat, melt 4 tbs of butter, almond extract and cinnamon stick. add strawberries to pot and remainder tbs of sugar, stir, cover and let simmer. stirring occasionally.
- add 3 of the eggs and milk in shallow dish. add cinnamon, 1 tbs of canola oil and a pinch of salt. whisk together.
- heat griddle or non stick pan over medium high heat. slice bread in half (optional) then place as many slices that will fit, in egg batter. cover bread with egg batter and place on hot griddle. let french toast cook for about 5 minutes each side until it’s golden brown (adjust heat if needed).
- Fried Egg: in a large frying pan, heat a few tbs of olive oil and a pat of butter over medium heat. crack 3 eggs in and season with salt and pepper. cook for abut 5 minutes until egg whites are opaque. gently flip over and turn off heat.
Place french toast on a plate and cover with strawberry syrup. drizzle a little maple syrup on top and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Add fried egg to plate and devour this decadent dish!
For a cocktail: In a champagne flute pour in a splash of amaretto a splash of orange juice and top off with prosecco. garnish with a whole strawberry.