I had some random ingredients leftover from other meals and came up with this yummy pasta dish. It’s got all the good stuff for a meal full of comfort.
Random Ingredients: 1/2 box whole wheat penne pasta, 1 red bell pepper, 1 red onion, 3 spicy fully cooked sausage links, peperoni slices, 4 cloves garlic, 2 cups tomato sauce.
Cheese sauce: 2 tbs of flour, 2 tbs of butter, 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of grated cheese. (the cheese i had: drunken goat cheese, cheddar and provolone. use whatever variety you like).
- boil water for pasta. (add pasta once water comes to a boil)
- heat a large pan over med. high heat. slice pepper in half length wise. remove seeds then slice pepper into thin strips. drizzle pan with olive oil, add bell pepper to pan. slice onion into thin strips and toss into pan. sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- cut sausage links in half length wise and then cut at a bias into bite size pieces (a similar shape to the penne pasta). toss into pan. take a few handfuls of peperoni and slice into strips, toss in pan. peel garlic cloves, thinly slice and toss into pan. mix everything together and turn heat down to low, add in tomato sauce.
- cheese sauce: in a small pot over med heat, melt butter. add in flour and whisk together for a few min. add in a pinch of salt, 1 tsp of cracked red pepper and 1 tsp of black pepper. pour in milk, whisking as you pour. keep whisking until sauce thickens. about 5 min. turn off heat and add in grated cheese. stir until cheese has melted. (if sauce is to thick add a little pasta water to thin out)
- remove pasta from water with a slotted spoon and pour directly into pan with veggies and sausage. pour cheese sauce on top of that and mix it all together.
Serve with a salad and Enjoy.