I’m not a traditional person by any means, nor am I a big turkey fan, or anything from a can for that matter. Thanksgiving is always around my birthday too, so I tend to cook what I like! I’ve taken a few of my favorite things and put a JJ spin on them to make for a very Unique Thanksgiving Feast. (serves 4-6 people)
- N.Y Strip w/a Red Wine Cranberry Chutney,
- Whiskey Whipped Sweet Potatoes w/Chipoltle Peppers,
- Green Bean & Crimini Mushroom Casserole
- Dark Chocolate Candies
Steak & Cranberry Chutney: 1 bag of fresh cranberries, 1 small red onion, red wine, sugar, honey, cinnamon stick (or powder), whole nutmeg, cracked black pepper, 4 N.Y strips (or you’re favorite steak).
Whiskey Whipped Sweet Potatoes: about 4 sweet potatoes, 3 garlic cloves, 1/2 stick of butter, cream, ground nutmeg, chipoltle peppers in adobe sauce, 1/4 cup of whiskey.
Green Bean Casserole: 1/2 lb. fresh greenbeans (trimmed), 6 strips of bacon, 12 crimini mushrooms, parmesan cheese, aged smoked guoda cheese, 1 cup heavy cream, 3 shallots, 3 garlic cloves, exta virgin olive oil.
Red Wine Cranberry Chutney: 1pkg fresh cranberries, diced red onion, 2 cups red wine, 2 cups of water, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup honey, 1 cinnamon stick, fresh ground nutmeg, cracked black 1 tbs peppercorn and salt.
- throw everything in a pot and let it cook down over medium heat. cover the pot to bring the berries to a boil quicker (this also helps when the berries start to bust from making a mess). once it comes to a boil, uncover, lower heat and let berries simmer. stir occasionally until it thickens. (about 30 min)
- be sure and make the steaks last since they take the least amount of time to cook. salt & pepper steaks and grill to desired done-ness.
- serve the chutney over the steaks.
Whiskey Whipped Sweet Potatoes w/Chipotle Peppers-
- cut up yams into pieces, put in a pot and cover with water. toss in a few garlic cloves smashed and peeled. once yams are tender.
- drain out water and pour potatoes into a bowl. add 1/2 stick of butter, 1/4 cup of cream and freshly ground nutmeg (about 1 tsp.). give 3 chipoltle peppers a rough chop and add to bowl, add a few spoon fulls of the adobe sauce. pour in 1/4 cup whiskey! use a mixer and whip yams until smooth and creamy. add more cream if needed.
- Transfer Whiskey Whipped Sweet Potatoes w/Chipotle Peppers to a serving dish.
Green beans & Crimini Mushroom Casserole-
- boil green beans in pot of salted water until tender. chop up strips of bacon into small pieces. heat large saute pan over medium heat, drizzle w/olive oil add bacon. let cook stirring occasionally, until crispy. remove from pan and place bacon on a paper towel.
- drain some of the bacon fat out of pan and return to low heat. add a few drizzles of olive oil. slice 3 shallots and finely chop 3 garlic cloves, toss in pan. finely chop 12 crimini mushrooms toss in pan. add some cracked black pepper and a small amount of salt. (it’s probably okay not to salt this because the bacon and cheese are both salty). mix it all together. (don’t worry it there is browning in the bottom of the pan.)
- in a food processor grind up pieces of parmesan & smoked guoda (or grate the cheese).
- drain green beans and add to pan, crumble in bacon and give it a mix. sprinkle in cheese, about a cup. mix in 1/8 cup of heavy cream and let simmer about 10 min.
- Pour into a casserole dish. grate parmesan cheese over the top and crumble in some bacon for garnish.
The biggest hit is my Dark Chocolate Candies! I serve them after dinner with some champagne. These are very simple to make…
- Use your favorite kind of chocolate candy bar. I prefer Lindt 70-80% cocoa. break 4 chocolate bars up and put in a double boiler pot over medium heat. roughly chop 1/2 cup almonds, add to chocolate (or your favorite nuts), roughly chop 1/4 cup dried cherries & 1/4 cup blueberries, add to pot. add 1 tsp of cinnamon & 1 tsp cayenne pepper. Stir everything up until chocolate is melted. pour mixture onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and smooth out, dust with coarse salt. let cool & harden back to candy (works best in fezzer).cut or break into nice sized chunks and ENJOY!