For Valentines this year, I thought I’d give my closest friends some of my special chocolate bark candy. I like making simple, but fun, handmade treats for my sweethearts because I think it’s more personal and it taste better too. I got creative on these treats this year. I made this particular recipe in honor of my friend, Arcella. She’s allergic to certain nuts so I went with almonds (don’t want to kill the girl). Then I added a little spice for her spicy attitude! I added some dried cranberries and orange zest for one more layer of tart and sweetness and then mixed it all in some dark chocolate. (Assorted chocolate bark shown in picture).
- 4 50% cocoa chocolate bars (or any kind of plain dark chocolate)
- zest of 2 blood oranges
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- handful of roasted almonds
- handful of dried cranberries
- in a double boiler, break chocolate bars into bowl, mix in cayenne pepper and half of zest. let chocolate melt over med heat, stirring occasionally.
- in the meantime, roughly chop almonds and cranberries. line a sheet pan with wax paper.
- lightly mix nuts and cranberries into chocolate. (save a little cranberries for sprinkling over the top of chocolate).
- pour chocolate out onto sheet pan. sprinkle top with the rest of cranberries and orange zest. place in fridge (or freezer for faster hardening) and let set for a few hours. once candy is hard, break it up into chunky pieces. bag it up in fun bags and pass out to your sweethearts!