Homemade Teriyaki sauce. Why not make it yourself. You’ll avoid extra additives and perservitives such as corn syrup and msg.
Here’s a Beef and Veggie Teriyaki but substitute anything you like. For instance tofu instead of beef or any veggies you prefer or happen to have on hand.
- 1 cup Jasmine Rice
- 1/2 lb. Filet Mignon
- 6 Crimini Mushrooms
- 1 Japanese Eggplant
- 1 small White Onion
- 1 Yellow and Red Bell Pepper
- handful of Snow Peas
- 1 small chunk of Ginger
- 1 can Chunky Pineapple (with juice)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 cups sake or white wine
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tbs Minced Ginger
- 1 tbs Minced Garlic
- 1 tbs Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 tsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- 2 cups low sodium soy sauce
First start with the Teriyaki Sauce….
- In a sauce pot add: sake, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, cornstarch, sesame seeds, minced ginger and garlic. Simmer over medium heat until sauce thickens. About 15 minutes. Stir in soy sauce and remove from heat.
- Cook rice according to package. Usually 1 cup of rice to 1 1/2 cups of water. Season rice with salt and a pat of butter. Bring to a boil then cover and let simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Prep: chop all veggies into bite size pieces.
- Strain pineapple saving the juice.
- Slice beef into bite size chunks. Season with a little pepper and sesame seeds.
- Heat wok over high heat. Coat with a little oil and scramble eggs. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Coat with a little more oil and toss in veggies. Stir and fry for about 10 minutes then add a few drizzles of teriyaki sauce around wok. Stirfry about 5 minutes more than remove from wok. Add pineapple and saute for a few minutes, add to bowl with veggies.
- Coat wok with a little more oil and add beef. Saute for about 5-10 minutes until meat is caramelized and medium rare. Now add everything back in wok mixing together. Turn off heat.
- Mix reserved pineapple juice into Teriyaki Sauce. Spoon teriyaki sauce over stirfry veggies. Save some sauce to serve on the side.
Whisk eggs in a bowl.