Kicken’ Asian Fusion Chicken Stir-Fry
I started playing around in the kitchen again. I was feeling like change. Like I needed something new on my menu! I wanted to come up with something a little different but still simple enough to make for my catering gig. With a little surfing on the web and inventory of what I had on hand, I came up with this fun and very delicious recipe. It’s Asian inspired with a little kick to it from some fresh ginger and red pepper flakes, so I call it, Kicken’ Asian Fusion Chicken.
- 1 cup long grain or jasmine rice
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- canola oil
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup snow peas
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 tbs red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 scallions
I like to get the rice going first. Then prep my ingredients for the stir-fry…
- follow instructions for rice but add ginger and garlic powder to pot. season with salt. Sauce: in a 2 cup measuring glass, pour in soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and brown sugar, then fill measuring glass with 1 cup of water. give it a stir and set aside.
- prep veggies: thinly slice carrots, skin ginger, thinly slice lengthwise into long discs, then slice again into match size sticks. place broccoli and carrots in one bowl and ginger and snow peas in another.
- prep chicken: thinly slice chicken breast into thin strips. crack eggs into a large shallow bowl and beat. in another shallow dish add cornstarch and flour and mix together. add chicken to eggs and mix around coating the chicken. heat wok over medium high heat. add in about 14/ cup of oil.
- in batches, take a handful of chicken and coat in cornstarch. shake excess cornstarch off and lay in hot oil. with a slotted spoon toss chicken around in wok until crispy. remove from wok on to a paper towel lined pan. repeat until chicken is crisped. add more oil as needed.
- after chicken is done; toss in broccoli and carrots. mix together and let cook for about 5 minutes. add in snow peas and ginger, red pepper flakes and sesame oil. toss all together. add chicken back to wok and pour in soy sauce mixture. cook for about 5 minutes more until sauce starts to thicken. turn off heat. thinly slice scallions.
Scoop rice onto a plate and cover with Kicken’ Asian Fusion Chicken, garnish with scallions.