Bison Sloppy Joes
When my daughter actually asks me to cook I get so excited! She is almost seventeen and having any time with her is very rare these days. I know she is on the typical teenager diet right now, eating when it’s convenient and usually consisting of lots of junk food, so I get even more eager to cook something I know she will get nutrients from.
She and her bfriend requested Sloppy Joes. I do not cook from packages preferring not to add unwanted sodium or other mystery ingredients to my food. These are very simple to make even with out the package and it’s easy to sneak a few healthy veggies without them knowing!
- 1lb. Ground Bison
- 1- 15 oz. can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Bell Pepper
- 1 Jalapeno
- 1 Onion
- 3 Celery Stalks
- 1 tBs: Cumin, Chili Powder, Ground Mustard
- worcestershire sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- Hamburger Buns
- Heat saute pan over medium heat. Finely dice onion, celery and bell pepper, drizzle pan with olive oil, toss in veggies, season with salt and pepper and saute until tender. About 5 minutes. Dice jalapeno, add to pan. Pour in: cumin, chili powder and ground mustard. Mix to coat veggies.
- Add ground bison. Season with salt and pepper, brown meat breaking up with wooden spoon as it cooks. About 5-10 minutes
- Pour in crushed tomatoes, add about 1/4 cup of ketchup and 2 tBs. worcestershire sauce. Mix everything together and let simmer 30-45minutes, low heat.
- Toast your favorite hamburger buns, spoon Bison Sloppy Joe over bun and be prepared to get sloppy!
Food For Thought: Sloppy Joes are one of those foods that is much better the next day. Meaning they make excellent leftovers! Or, just make it the day before…