The fish monger had the most beautiful giant catfish filets and I just had to have some. They usually have the catfish nuggets but I prefer the whole fish. That way I can control the shape and size. And like I said, these were beautiful! I love catfish. Probably because it reminds me of my childhood. When I would got visit my grandmother in east Texas, we’d always go have catfish at Caddo Lake. These catfish fish sticks remind me of that delicious catfish and I didn’t even deep fry them!
Breading: cornmeal, flour, eggs. red pepper flakes, salt & cracked black pepper.
- heat oven to 400°
- set up breading station. season cornmeal (about 2 cups) with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes (1-2 tbs.). whisk 3 eggs together and use about 1/2 cup of flour for dusting. slice catfish filets in half lengthwise. then slice across into 2 in. strips. (slice fish at a bias)
- lay fish strip in flour and lightly coat. dip it in egg, then cover with cornmeal. lay it onto a cookie sheet. repeat until all fish is breaded. drizzle top with olive oil and place in oven. cook for about 20 min. until golden brown.
- serve over a bed of lettuce tossed in a little olive oil and salt & pepper. options for salad: add tomatoes, avocados and queso fressco to lettuce. finish it up by squeezing lemon juice over it all. also, i added a little ranch dressing to my fish sticks. try making it with plain yogurt and ranch seasoning for a healthier take. it’s delicious!
- 1 lb catfish
- 1 lemon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tbs cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper
- red cabbage
- red onion
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- red pepper flakes
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 avocado
- 2 limes
- green onion
- 1 jalapeno
- fresh salsa
- queso fresco
- corn tortillas
Red Cabbage Slaw:
- over medium heat bring to a slow boil; red wine vinegar, sugar, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, salt and pepper. cut cabbage in half and shave (I use a mandolin) half of it. place cabbage in a bowl, pour vinegar mixture over it, stir and set aside.
- heat oven to 400. cut fish into 2 inch strips. squeeze lemon over fish and season with salt & pepper.
- set up a breading station (flour-egg-cornmeal): pour flour into a shallow dish.crack 2 eggs into a dish, mix together (i used 1 whole egg and 1 egg white). in a second dish add cornmeal. season cornmeal with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper, mix that together.
- lightly coat fish strip with flour (this helps the egg stick). then place in egg wash, then cover with cornmeal and lay on cookie sheet. repeat until all fish is breaded. drizzle olive oil over top of fish. place in oven and bake for 20 minutes and until fish is golden brown.
- in the meantime: slice avocado, finely chop green onion and finely chop jalapeno, place in a bowl. squeeze juice lime and half of lemon in bowl. mash with a fork. heat tortillas.
- set up a serving station: crumble queso fresco into a bowl. set out; warm tortillas, salsa, cabbage and avocado mash.